We build Worx websites using WordPress, which powers 24% of the World’s websites, so the good news is there’s tonnes of tools, tips and advice on how to do everything that’s just a Google search away.
We are more than happy to make any changes you wish as one of your included ’30 minute jobs’, but for those of you that would like to nip on and make changes yourselves, we’ve got the basics below:
1. First off find the Pages menu in the WordPress Dashboard Navigation menu and click Add new. (The WordPress page editor looks nearly identical to the post editor, except for a few different boxes located on the right side of the screen.)
2. Add the title of the page, i.e. About, Testimonials, Contact. We generally set up Worx sites with ‘pretty permalinks’ (to help with SEO), so the title of your page will also be the URL slug.
3. Next, add some content. Don’t forget to check your spelling! You can also add images by clicking the ‘media’ button above the editing window, and Preview your new page using the ‘Preview’ button over to the right. If you’re having issues making it look right, just open a ticket with us and we can help you out as one of your free ’30 minute jobs’.
4. The Publish section of the page editor is exactly the same as for writing posts. When you’re ready to publish, you can either publish immediately, save this or a draft, or schedule the page to be published later.
5. In the ‘Page Attributes’ section you can apply a ‘parent page’ and ‘template’ to your new page. The Parent section helps you arrange your pages into hierarchies, so you could create this new page with additional pages under it. There are no limits to how many levels you can nest pages.
6. Preview the page one last time, then click Publish. Well done for adding a new page to your WordPress site!
When we build your site we’ll set you up with your menus (usually Main, Footer and Mobile) You can change which pages appear and where they are on the menu by:
1. Go to the ‘Appearance’ menu on the left-hand side of the Dashboard and select the ‘Menus’ option to bring up the Menu Editor.
2. Select the menu you would like to edit in the dropdown selector and click ‘select’. Or click the link next to this to ‘add new menu’.
3. Add pages to your menu by clicking the checkbox next to their page title in the list in the ‘Pages’ panel (you may need to select the View All link to bring up a list of all the currently published Pages on your site.) Then simply click the Add to Menu button located at the bottom of this pane.
4. Change the order of pages on your menu by simply dragging them to their correct position. You can make a page appear under another menu item on your website by dropping it underneath the parent page and slightly over to the right (about a cm on most screens.)
5. To delete a menu item you need to Locate it in the editor window and click the arrow icon in the top right-hand corner of the menu item/box to expand it. Click on the Remove link and the menu item will be immediately removed.
6. To change the name the menu shows for a page, click on the arrow in the top right-hand corner of the menu item to expand it. Then enter the new title of the menu item in the ‘Navigation Label’ and if you want to give more information about this page when visitors hover over the menu item, you can add this information in the ‘Title Attribute’ section.
7. Click the Save Menu button once you’ve added all the menu items you want.
1. Click the ‘Posts’ tab, then the ‘Add New’ sub-tab.
2. Start filling in the blanks: enter your post title in the upper field, and enter your post body content in the main post editing box below it.
3. As needed, select a category, add tags, and make other selections from the sections below the post which are nice and self explanatory.
4. When you are ready, click Publish.
If you’re a Worx VIP customer and set up to sell through your website you can make changes to your products by doing the following.
To add a new product:
Either click the ‘Products’ tab in the left hand menu on the dashboard and ‘add product’, or click the ‘+’ in the top bar menu and select product. Once you have put in the information you can select ‘Save draft’ or ‘Publish’ to make it live.
To find draft products go to the Products window and select ‘Draft’ products, click on them to preview/edit and publish when you are happy with it going live.
To edit products:
Either select ‘Products’ in the left hand menu and find the product you would like to edit in the list and click on it to open the product editing page. OR navigate to the ‘front end’ of the website, find the product you would like to edit select ‘Edit Product’ in the black menu bar at the top of your screen.
To change the product description, scroll down to near the bottom and edit the copy in ‘Product Short Description.’
To add/edit the attributes go to Products > Attributes and there you can add a new one on the left hand side, or click to edit the existing ones on the right hand side.
To change the main image displayed for a product, go to the ‘Featured image’ box, click to remove the incorrect featured image if necessary, and select ‘Set featured image.’ Find the image you want to use and select it.
To stop ‘add to basket’ displaying in a peculiar place on some products but not others, you need to make sure that product has a price.
To change the product to ‘Sold’, scroll down to the ‘Product data’ window, select the ‘Inventory’ tab and change the Stock Qty to 0 and status to ‘Out of stock’.
To change the order the products appear on the page for their category, go to the ‘Product data’ field and click the ‘Advanced’ tab and input a ‘menu order’ number. They are all set to 0 by default so all the ones you do not edit will appear before those you do.
Make sure you hit the yellow ‘Update’ button higher up on the right to save any and all changes you make.
This is a broad overview of the basic tasks you may like to do, but if we’ve missed anything that you would prefer to handle yourself, please let us know what you would like to know about in the box below and we will get back to you asap!